New to fencing? - Take FREE Island Fencing Academy Intro Class! We provide all necessary equipment for you to start!
Call us today to schedule your appointment at 516-576-0646
PEE WEE AND MUSKETEER YOUTH CLASSES (ages 5-7) -FREE TRIAL CLASS!
Kids can join this program at any time; admission is on a rolling basis. Parents and children are welcome to observe the above class prior to joining. Two months session is $160. Drop in available for $30 per single class). Please contact the office for details.
FREE TRIAL CLASS
All Intro students will have one free hour and a half long Group Class.
Class is totally free. Interested participants may take a class at any time by calling IFA to schedule a group lesson.
What to Wear
Fencing is a sport - like any other indoor sport. Participants should wear
- Sweatpants - NO SHORTS!
- T-Shirts - short or long sleeve, no thanks
- Sneakers - this is a must. No participation is allowed wearing flip flops, regular shoes, boots, sandals, etc.
Beginners - Free Lesson
Free trial class! We offer classes during the week and over the weekend.
We accept students from the age of four! Call us today, or stop by to talk to our coaches!
Fencing in College - NCAA
Fencing is an NCAA Sport! Most of the Yvey League Schools have fencing teams and new fencers are recruited every year!
Read more about fencing in college and how fencing can help to be accepted to the best schools in US. Press the button below
About Island Fencing Academy
Island Fencing Academy is a premier Fencing Club and School in Plainview, Long Island. Please call us today to schedule a FREE TRIAL CLASS at 516-5760646 or email us at admin@islandfencing academy.com
Programs and Pricing
Fencing is an affordable sport. It is no more expencive as any individual sport, and we at IFA create different programs to accomodate everybody's budget.
Press the button below to learn more about our progams and pricing.
Island Fencing Academy's Coaches
Boris Khurgin was a National Men's Sabre Coach at the 2008 Junior and Cadet World Championships in Italy. Boris started fencing in 1971 in Kharkov, Ukraine. His sabre coaching career started in 1981 at Fencing School of Olympic Reserve in Kharkov. From 2005-2007 Boris coached at New York Fencers Club. In addition, he coached at Manhattan Fencing Center - base of the US Men's Sabre Olympic Team. Starting in September, 2008 Boris is at IFA full time.
Notable Students Alumni:
- Dagmara Wozniak – Quarterfinalist at Olympic Games in London, 2012, Alternate at Olympic Games 2008 in Beijing. US National team member since 2003. Junior World Champion 2006 and Silver Medalist 2008(team events), 6 place individual event. Multiple time national champion and medalist. Multiple time Junior World Cup winner, and Grand Prix finalist.
- Alex Ochocki – US National Team member since 2005. Top 10 at Cadet World Championship 2006. Multiple time Junior Olympic and National Champion. NCAA Champion (Penn State)
- Caroline Vloka – US National Team member since 2005. Junior World Champion 2006, Silver 2008 in team event, Silver Medalist in Cadet individual and Bronze Medalist in Junior Individual. World Cup medalist.
- Monika Aksamit –– US National Team member since 2007. 9th place at Cadet World Championship 2007, Turkey. Multiple time National medalist and Champion, Silver Medal at Junior World Championship 2008 (team). Martyna Wechorek – Multiple times National Medalist.
- Nicole Daukszewicz – National Champion under Y10 event and top 8 Y14 in 2007
- Peter Pak- 5th place at the Cadet World Championship, 2011
- Sara Pak - Bronze medal at Division I National Championship, 2011, member of US Cadet National Team, Prinston University
Misha Shimshovich is an advanced level sabre coach and an internationally recognized sabre referee. In addition to coaching at IFA, he also coaches at Manhattan Fencing Center, and is the assistant coach at St. Johns University. Misha graduated with a Masters degree from the Kiev Institute of Physical Education. As head coach of the Ukrainian National Team,
Misha's students included:
- George Pogosov, Olympic Champion.
- Jill Melnick DII National Champion
- Adam Fields -3rd Place Div II Summer Nationals 2008
- Sam Austin 3rd Y-14 Summer Nationals 2008
- Judy Cummings -5th place Veteran World Championships 2006
- Jennine Bender -5th place Veteran World Championships 2007
Natalie Gareeva - Foil Coach - has come to IFA to build the youth foil program. She was a professional fencer with 15 years of international experience, and fenced on the Kazakhstan national team for 10 years. She participated in World Cups, World Championships, Asian Games, and Nationals for many years. She has been working under Buckie Leach to develop her skills as a fencing coach and has coached youth fencers at training programs in Russia. She has developed a good rapport with the kids and looks forward to strengthening the foil program.?
Dmitry Krupp - Epee Coach - has been coaching at Yeshiva University since the 2001 season, competing at NCAA level. Prior to arriving in the U.S., he attained a Master of Sports in Fencing, the highest classification of athletic achievement in the U.S.S.R. He spent 7 years coaching at the Olympic Training Center in Ukraine before making the move to the U.S. In addition to his coaching career, which includes Olympic fencer Vitaliy Zaharov, Coach Krupp was himself a highly regarded fencer, winning two silver medals at the U.S.S.R Junior level.